What is Myofascial release?
Myofascia is a gel like substance, a three dimensional matrix system that envelopes the body beneath the skin and encloses all our muscles, joints, nerves and organs.
Fascia carries all our cells, nutrients, hormones and antibodies. When it is tight or distorted this will affect the whole body structure including movement, our ability to sit up or stand up straight and our overall wellbeing.
Myofascial release employs a massage-like technique that uses the client’s own body to re-wire / re-map itself through movement. During a session, we find where the areas tightness are, and by applying a gentle light sustained pressure to that area, the body will slowly move and create an unwinding effect in the myofascia, to release the tightness and restriction in the soft tissue. This restores the springiness and elasticity that should naturally be present, allowing the body to hold itself better once again and more importantly, to move more freely.
By treating the whole body through the myofascial web, you can see and feel how it really moves or should move and therefore where we often become stuck. This reveals the glitch in the matrix, the holding point, the scar tissue.
Every day, we compress our bodies in so many positions day to day and stay bound up a lot of the time. Whether this this a result of sitting at a desk, riding a bike or lounging on the sofa, the result is that our myofascial system becomes tight and bound. Even if you are strong and fit, your body will still complain if it is being held too tightly and in the incorrect position.
Rigid myofascia prevents the body from working optimally and creates more work for the body. This makes us sluggish, tired and causes pain. Our bodies are working harder then they need too!
Myofascial release is an intelligent system. In addition to the physical benefits, It also can help with developing a more open consciousness to the world.
Myofascial release can help:
- chronic pain
- back ache and pelvic imbalance
- lordosis and lumbago
- kyphosis and dowagers hump
- neck and shoulder pain and tension
- jaw discomfort, teeth grinding and clentching, temporomadibular joint dysfunction (TMJ)
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- tennis and golfer's elbow
- general discomfort and muscular spasms
- chronic myofascial pain syndrome (CMPS) trigger point formation and pain
- dizziness and vertigo
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- menstrual discomfort and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- urinary incontinence and overactive bladder issues
- fibromyalgia (FMS)
- chronic fatigue syndrome /ME
- plantar fasciitis and heel spurs
- sporting and athletic injuries
- frozen shoulder and adhesive capsulitis
- post surgical and injury scarring and adhesions
- repetitive strain injury (RSI)
- acid reflux
- sinusitis and eye strain
Possible results from a session can include:
- Pain Relief
- Restoration of muscle function and good posture
- Relief of physical and emotional strain
- Promotion of self-healing
- Long-term recovery from injury
- Holistic approach to your injury
- Education you on your injury